Last year I uploaded an article on how to keep your New Year’s resolutions. It can be found here. While studying this morning I found some old notes that inspired me on a similar line. Below are the notes and then some facts I drew from scriptures that are at the end of the article.
What is will power? It wasn’t made to battle against principalities and powers. It wasn’t given to overcome the flesh. It was made so that we can say yes to God, so that we can have free choice. Of course, I can obey the Bible and do what God says, because God is my ability to win over sin and evil; I draw from Him all I need. It is not improving my flesh but depending on His strength and walking in the Spirit that gives me the ability. Because of this, all I need do is believe and receive, and what I have been is the past makes no difference.
Keys to scripturally gain control over your flesh:
- The power of the old man and the flesh was already broken so that I am no longer its slave. I can do it!
- Do it by faith not works. Focus on the Spirit and relationship more than outward things. You are no longer under law (rules) but under grace (relationship & fellowship).
- I walk not in newness of spirit and not oldness of letter. I am joined to Him in order to bear fruit for God. The fruit of the Spirit comes only by abiding in constant fellowship with Him and yielding to Him.
- No matter how much I love God and desire to do His will, my flesh is still flesh and has no power to obey the word (which is spiritual) and do what I desire to do.
- Consider yourself dead to sin and alive to God. Believe that your flesh no longer has the mastery and that you CAN be in control.
- It is not in me (in my own flesh or will power) to do what I want to do. The willing is present, but the doing is not. There is a law of sin and death that dwells in my flesh. Because of this God had to provide an alternate way of victory.
- The only way to not carry out the desire of the flesh is to walk in and through the spirit (this is abiding in Him, joined to Him, walking in newness of spirit and not oldness of letter).
- Jesus did what I couldn’t do and overcame my flesh for me. Now I can walk out my victory with Him, yielding to Him and trusting in Him in each instance.
- Now I can fulfill His requirements and live in control of my life when I walk according to the spirit and not the flesh.
- I am under no obligation to follow my flesh.
- He who has given life to my spirit will also give life to my body as I yield to Him. Since I live by the Spirit I also walk by the Spirit.
- My victory over the world (including my flesh) is through Faith. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world. Faith is the victory to me being in control over my flesh.
- Through the law I died to the law that I might live to God.
- I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who live but He who lives through me.
- The life I live in the flesh I live by faith in Him who loves me and did everything for my victory and is there to walk it out with me and through me.
- I began by the spirit and I walk out my salvation in the same manner. Since I live by the Spirit I also walk by the Spirit. He who gave life to my spirit will quicken also my mortal body so that I can live and do what I want to do rather than what my flesh demands.
- This all works by faith. I see it in the Word, I believe it and speak it over myself. Then I walk it out.
- A key to victory in walking by faith is to believe it and speak it even before I am living it perfectly. Faith is the victory that overcomes the world.
Originally posted 2012-01-03 04:27:58.