Back in the 1980’s I began to seek the Lord diligently to overcome some fears and other things that were hindering me from being all I could be. I was not working at the time, so I showed up before the Lord at 8 am every morning to pray and to study the Word of God. Usually by the afternoon, there came upon me a strong presence, and I just felt to relax and “be with Him” and let His presence permeate my being.
Throughout the next few months, my life was totally transformed by His presence and by the truth that was revealed to me during that time. People would say to me, “I feel God” when they were with me or, “There is a peace coming out of you” or other things like this.
Because I like every experience to be supported by scripture, I began to seek the Lord to understand that overwhelming sense of presence and power, sometimes coming like waves so strong that I could hardly move without staggering or falling down. I didn’t understand right then, but through the years, the scriptures below began to come to me. Below are the things He taught me about how His presence came upon me and made me free.
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 – Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty – emancipation from bondage, freedom. And all of us as with unveiled face (because we) continued to behold as in a mirror the glory of the Lord are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another: (for this comes) from the Lord (who is the Spirit.
What is the Anointing?
- The anointing is the presence of God.
- The anointing is the glory of God.
- The anointing is God Himself manifested to our physical senses.
- 2 John 2:27 – The Holy Sprit is called the anointing.
- There are various anointings for ministry to others, but there is also the anointing that is God Himself ministering Himself, His presence, His power to me and through me, God Himself revealing Himself to me
The Anointing Breaks the Yoke
Isaiah 10:27 – And it shall come to pass in that day that his burden shall be taken away from off thy shoulder, and his yoke from off thy neck, and the yoke shall be destroyed because of the anointing.
NKJV – It shall come to pass in that day that his burden will be taken away from your shoulder, and his yoke from your neck, and the yoke will be destroyed because of the anointing oil.
The prayer of Habakkuk the prophet set to wild and enthusiastic and triumphal music.
Oh, Lord, I have heard report of you and was afraid…
God came… His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of His praise.
And His brightness was like the sunlight; rays streamed from His hand, and there (in the sun-like splendor) was the hiding place of His power. Habakkuk 3:1-4
Malachi 4:2 – …to those who fear His Name; the sun of righteousness shall arise with healing in His wings and His beams and you shall go forth and gambol (frisk, skip about in place) like calves released from the stall and leap for joy.
Isaiah 40:27-31 – Why, O Jacob, do you say, and declare, O Israel, My way and my lot are hidden from the Lord, and my right is passed over without regard from my God?
Have you now known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, does not faint or grow weary; there is no searching of His understanding.
He gives power to the faint and weary and to him who has no might He increases strength – causing it to multiply and making it abound.
Even youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall feebly stumble and fall exhausted.
But those who wait for the Lord, – who expect, look for and hope in Him – shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up (close to God) as eagles (mount up to the sun); they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint or become tired.
Psalm 95:1-2, 6; 96:1, 8-9; 97:3-6; 100:1-5 – As I enter His presence through joyful praise and thanks-giving and begin to worship Him with all of my heart, His presence comes like a fire and burns up my adversaries. The mountains in my life melt like wax at His presence.
- The anointing – destroys the yoke or burden.
- The brightness of glory is the hiding place of His power.
- His healing beams – cause you to be released with joy.
- The Spirit of God brings liberty and emancipation from bondage.
- As you behold His glory, you are transformed into His image from glory to glory.
- You are changed from your strength to His as you spend time waiting on the Lord.
- His presence comes to you and burns up your adversaries and melts the mountains in your life like wax.
Spending time in the anointing, in the presence of God, in the glory of God, beholding His glory, releases His power in your life, destroys the yokes binding you, releases joy in you, gives you freedom from bondage and transforms you into His image from glory to glory; it also eliminates the enemies in my life and melts down the mountains.
How to Tap into it
- Luke 18:1-8, 35-43 – This is the persistence that comes to God, refusing to leave Him alone until the answer has come, until the need is met. The woman with the issue of blood is another example. She pushed through great odds to get to Jesus. Remember GOD WANTS TO MEET YOUR NEED. The problem is not in God wanting to heal you; it is in pushing through all the hindrance to get to Him and take hold of His provision. Get through to obstacles, the His goodness and mercy get to you.
- Isaiah 62:1 – For Zion’s sake I will not hold my peace, and for Jerusalem’s sake I will not rest, until her righteousness goes forth as brightness, and her salvation as a lamp that burns.V 6-7 – I have set watchmen on your walls, O Jerusalem; they shall never hold their peace day or night. You who make mention of the Lord, do not keep silent, and give Him no rest till He establishes and till He makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth.
Diligent following after
- The story of Elijah and Elisha (2 Kings 2:1-13).
- Hebrews 11:6 – He is a rewarder of the one who diligently seeks Him.
Diligently seeking God
Hebrews 11:6 – And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly and diligently seek Him.
Seek – make search or enquiry for; look for; ask for; strive after; make search.
Deuteronomy 4:29 – Seek with all of your heart and soul.
Matthew 7:7-11 – Seek and you shall find.
Jeremiah 29:12-14 – Seek with all of your strength; you shall find Him.
Psalm 34:4 – I sought the Lord. He answered me and delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 63:1-2 – Seek Him because of His glory.
Psalm 77:1-2 – He sought the Lord. At night he stretched out untiring hands, and his soul refused to be comforted.
How long to seek God:
Hosea 10:12 – …it is time to seek the Lord until He comes and showers righteousness on you. (Romans 8:26-27; Hebrews 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 10:3-5)
2 Chronicles 26:5 -…As long as he sought the Lord, God gave him success.
SEEK THE LORD UNTIL HE COMES, until you are fully successful in every area of life, until you have taken all of the land of your life back from the enemy. Seek until you are living the abundant life Jesus came to give you and fulfilling the deepest dreams and God-given desires in your heart.
Worship and Praise
Psalm 22:3 – But you are holy, enthroned in (you inhabit) the praises of Israel.
2 Chronicles 5:12-14 – When they made one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord, emphasizing His mercy, the house of the Lord was filled with a cloud so that the priests could not stand to minister for the glory of the Lord filled the house of God.
Psalm 95:1-2, 6 – Let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms… O come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker.
Psalm 96:1, 8-9 – Sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord all the earth… Bring an offering and come into His courts. Oh, worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness! Tremble before Him, all the earth.
Psalm 97:3-5 – A fire goes before Him and burns up His enemies round about. His lightnings light the world; the earth sees and trembles. The mountains melt like wax at the presence of the Lord, at the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
Psalm 100:1-5 – Make a joyful shout to the Lord, all you lands! Serve the Lord with gladness; come before His presence with singing. Know that the Lord, He is God; It is He who has made us and not we ourselves. Enter into His gates with thanksgiving and into His courts with praise: be thankful to Him and bless His name. For the Lord is god; and His mercy is everlasting, and His truth endures to all generations.
Some last thoughts
Hosea 10:12 – Sow to yourselves in righteousness; reap in mercy. Break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord till He comes and rains righteousness upon you.
Fallow land is land left untilled and unsown for a year or more; untrained (Hebrews 5:11-14; 2:1-2).
Fallow ground is uncultivated, unused, idle and dormant. This speaks of the parts of your life that aren’t bearing fruit.
The seed is the Word. All soil (the human heart) can receive seed. But some soil needs to be prepared first – here by seeking the Lord until He comes and rains on you and softens the ground of your heart.
Mark 4:3, 8, 14-20 – Various soil types and how they receive the Word.
Moffatt – …Break up your fallow ground and sow not among thorns.