Matthew 6:25-33 (Amplified Bible)
Therefore I tell you, stop being perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life, what you shall eat or what you shall drink; or about your body, what you shall put on. Is not life greater [in quality] than food, and the body [far above and more excellent] than clothing? Look at the birds of the air; they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father keeps feeding them. Are you not worth much more than they?
And who of you by worrying and being anxious can add one unit of measure (cubit) to his stature or to the span of his life? And why should you be anxious about clothes? Consider the lilies of the field and learn thoroughly how they grow; they neither toil nor spin. Yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his magnificence (excellence, dignity, and grace) was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and green and tomorrow is tossed into the furnace, will He not much more surely clothe you, O you of little faith?
Therefore, do not worry and be anxious, saying, what are we going to have to eat? or, what are we going to have to drink? or, what are we going to have to wear? For the Gentiles (heathen) wish for and crave and diligently seek all these things, and your heavenly Father knows well that you need them all.
But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides.
- Stop being perpetually uneasy, anxious and worried about your life.
- The birds neither sow nor reap yet my Father keeps feeding them.
- God feeds the birds, but humans are worth much more to Him than animals.
- The lilies neither toil nor spin, yet none are arrayed like them.
- God clothes the grass, how much more will He clothe us?
- Because of this, don’t worry and be anxious about food, drink or clothing.
- My heavenly Father knows I need all of these things.
- My main focus isn’t to be seeking to provide for myself the natural things of life but to seek first His kingdom and His ways.
- When He is first, hen all of these things will be given me besides (besides the things of the kingdom, the blessings of putting God first and seeking His ways).
The emphasis of this passage is the love and care and provision of God as our Heavenly Father. He cares for us and provides for us. He knows all of our needs.
He will keep feeding us as we keep seeking Him and learning His ways and walk in them.
Therefore, I tell you, stop being perpetually uneasy (anxious and worried) about your life,
Why? Because you have a loving Father who understands your needs, cares for you, and provides for you.